Town of Orange
The Town is named in honor of William IV, Prince of Orange. The Town of Orange became Orange County's judicial seat in 1749 when Culpeper County was cut off making the previous courthouse location at Raccoon Ford very far from the center of the County. The present courthouse was constructed in 1858. The Town was incorporated in 1872. Although fire destroyed much of the town in 1908, many buildings from the 1800's still remain. The Town remains the county seat, as well as the commercial and retail center of the county.
The Town is rich with history. The courthouse and St. Thomas'
Episcopal Church, Robert E. Lee's place of worship during the winter of
1863-64, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Further information about the town and county's history may be obtained at the Visitor's Bureau, located in the Town of Orange. 540-672-1653
James Madison Museum
Features possessions of James and Dolley Madison, including clothing, jewelry, furnishings from Montpelier, and books and correspondence from Madison's library. The museum also houses Orange County historical exhibits, a Hall of Agriculture composed of early farm equipment and machinery, and a restored 1730's house. Seasonal exhibits add interest.
129 Caroline St.
St. Thomas's Epsicopal Church
Built in 1833-34 in the Town of Orange. This sole remaining example of Thomas Jefferson's ecclesiastical work was also Robert E. Lee's place of worship during his encampment in Orange in the winter of 1863-64.