The Town is named in honor of William IV, Prince of Orange. The Town of Orange became Orange County's judicial seat in 1749 when Culpeper County was cut off making the previous courthouse location at Raccoon Ford very far from the center of the County. The present courthouse was constructed in 1858. The Town was incorporated in 1872. Although fire destroyed much of the town in 1908, many buildings from the 1800's still remain. The Town remains the county seat, as well as the commercial and retail center of the county.
The Town is rich with history. The courthouse and St. Thomas' Episcopal Church, Robert E. Lee's place of worship during the winter of 1863-64, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Further information about the town and county's history may be obtained at the Visitor's Bureau, located in the Town of Orange. (540) 672-1653